The Kelvin Grove Urban Village is a master-planned community, bringing together residential, educational, retail, health, recreational and business opportunities into a vibrant new precinct. It demonstrates best practice as a sustainable, mixed-use community in an infill (existing) city fringe location. The Village was a partnership between the Queensland Government and Queensland University of Technology. Key features of this Village are:
- Prepared a master plan to deliver
- Real mixed-use community – containing medium- to high-density residential, including affordable housing; employment; education (QUT campus); retail; open space; theatre; creative industries precinct; and health and biomedical industries all within a walkable site
- Created a visually interesting and attractive place which is good for walking and cycling, including wide footpaths with shelter, good wayfinding signage, production of maps, interesting historical ’points of interest’ signage
- Attention to detail
- Good provision for cyclists, including on-road and off-road cycle paths and provision at intersections
- Accessible by public transport, with a busway station within 600 metres, access to a high frequency bus route (services every 10 minutes) and a bus route servicing staff and students traversing the site
- A range of parks with variety of facilities including seating, fitness equipment, water coolers, shelter, playgrounds, half-court basketball court.