Active Healthy Communities is an online resource for Local Government to create environments that support active and healthy living.
Councils are responsible for contributing to the health and wellbeing of their communities through the planning and development of their local communities and the provision and management of facilities and services. Queensland councils already play a significant role in creating healthy communities. The resource package builds on this by presenting useful ideas, practical information, and case studies based on the latest research on the impact of the built and social environment on health. The resource package:
- covers a broad range of council functions
- will suit councils of different sizes
- can be easily incorporated in stages into councils’ policies and practices
- contains options that can be undertaken with little or no budget or additional staff allocation
- contains options that provide good return on investment in the short and long term.
This resource package has been divided into parts that are practical and reflect the way councils plan and implement corporate policy through:
- corporate and operational plans
- planning schemes
- local laws
- individual programs in departments.